Sunday 5 May 2019

On Holiday With Nietzsche






My five-part series of essays on Friedrich Nietzsche starts this Monday night on BBC Radio 3 at 22.45. It’s a mix of travel writing and personal reflection that takes you from Turin to the Austrian Alps and the Norwegian fjords to the Italian Lakes. Nietzsche was a restless traveller throughout his life, never staying long in any one place, so his writings have always seemed like perfect holiday reading to me. Each of my essays sets a different book in a specific landscape, exploring the sights and sounds of that idle time in summer when you have the time to read and travel and explore.

The series will run across the entire week from May 6 to May 10 with a new reading every night, with each essay starting at 22.45. I do hope you will be able to join me.


Here is the schedule:

‘Becoming What You Are’: Monday May 6
‘Under the Mountain’: Tuesday May 7
‘For Everyone and No One’: Wednesday May 8
‘A Wanderer above the Sea of Fog’: Thursday May 9
‘The Art of Ending’: Friday May 10

For more details please click here. You can also follow ‘On Holiday With Nietzsche’ on the Radio 3 website following the initial transmission of each essay, and a podcast version will also be available from the same site.

Pictured above: Stalking Nietzsche with a Notebook and Pen – KH captured in various locations by @lahollings


1 comment:

Unknown said...

“When you’re planning to make Nietzsche your holiday reading, as I’ve done for many years, or simply want to become better acquainted with his work, do not begin with 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'. It’s a rookie mistake.”

You can say that again!

So why did I?

Because it was prep work before reading C.G. Jung's Zarathustra Seminars - 1544 pages and he didn't even have the time to cover the whole text!

Ah well...at least I finished it, even if most of it went over my head.
Unlike Jean-Paul Sartre's 'Being and Nothingness'. My contender for most boring book ever written.

Lee