Friday 8 December 2017

King Ludwig’s Gallery of Beauties in Noon AW17



I am also happy to announce that I have continued my longstanding relationship with Noon magazine into their AW17 issue dedicated to the theme of Excess. My seventh essay for this wonderful publication is dedicated to King Ludwig II of Bavaria – someone who, as regular readers of this blog might know if one of my heroes. The piece is called ‘King Ludwig’s Gallery of Beauties (This is Story about Horses)’ and is destined to be part of a larger work that I am currently sketching out. The AW17 issue of Noon is available from Claire de Rouen books - more information on Noon and its distributors can be found here.


As a small footnote, I would like to thank everyone who called or emailed me about my appearance talking about the life and mysterious death of Ludwig II in a recent cable TV documentary – thanks for viewing and for letting me know. The subject remains a constant source of surprise and inspiration for me – the last great aesthete of the nineteenth century still has so much to teach us about culture, technology and taste in the twenty-first. Ludwig’s existence has the form and impact of a lost science-fiction story on the human quest for paradise – which is appears to us as a pale reflection in the theme of excess.

No comments: